Frequently Asked Questions
How do I install the mod ?
The mod is a folder .rar, that mean that you have to extract it with a software like Winrar. Then you go into \A&S2 and \WRD Install and start the \AshAndShadowsSetup.exe.
What makes the mod awesome ?
New units are modern units or prototypes (nowadays). So there are the latest tanks like the K2 PIP KASTAM Black Panther or the T-14 Armata, the latest aircraft like the F-22 Raptor, the Rafale F3R or the F-35 lighting II, the latest missiles like the MMP or the Meteor and the latest technologies like the APS, or the anti-air jammers or anti-helicopter lasers.
It also includes new playable nationalities, it does not add new ones but reorganizes them to add others, like India or Turkey.
There is also a rebalancing of the game, indeed the new missiles (anti-tank as anti-air) shoot from further away, the bombs have more range etc.... Missiles are also more effective, tank armour is more resistant, anti-aircraft are more precise, aircraft are more stealthy and infantry is more resistant.
New game mechanics : Among the new game mechanics there are :
- Infantry mortar, some infantry are equipped with a light mortar.
- New attack mode for some anti-tank missiles, some missiles (3rd and 4th generation for experts) attack vehicles targeted by their roofs, this is now added in the statistics of the missiles concerned.(modifié)
- APS (The soft kill APS defeats the missile so that it does not reach the vehicle; while the hard kill APS destroys the threat before its certain impact on the vehicle). soft kill: tanks now have smoke (manual activation) to hide and protect them, hard kill: to simulate this system, I have to add CIWS on tanks, this addition is well thought because the result is identical to reality, the missile does not touch the vehicle,
- laser jammers, chinese tanks are equipped with a laser APS, which can target optronic helicopters to blind them, in the game this "weapon" panics enemy helicopters, which will therefore be much less accurate in their shots,
- anti-air jammers, the electronic warplanes are now equipped with a "weapon" which puts in panic the anti-air radar, which is very practical in addition to the traditional anti-air missiles, - the boats have been reworked, the CIWS now has blind spots,
Disadvantages : Mod players can only play with each other (watch out for that!) and since the Wargame Red Dragon game is not basic modable, there are no new 3D models, so they are replaced by 3D models already existing in the game, but this is purely visual and does not change anything else
Why isn't the _______ unit in the mod?
With the available mod tools, new units cannot be added into the game. There are a handful of old 'hidden' units which can be reactivated and recycled, but these are all used up. Other than that, all the 'new' units are older ones that have been repurposed and changed.
Specifically, how about Green Berets for the US?
Other than being functionally similar in game to Navy Seals or Rangers, here's an answer from a fan of the mod who's also a service member:
70% ECM on the Raptor seems, uh, excessive
The in game ECM is a composite of several real world features; IR and Chaff countermeasures, RADAR and IR warning recievers more 'traditional' RADAR jamming, DRFM jamming of incoming missiles and signature reduction features that inhibit autonomous weapons lock, and the use of low-probability of intercept RADAR rather than only representing a dedicated podded EW unit. Addititionally, an owner countries military R&D capacity to discover and develop new countermeasures as threats evolve plays into their overall in game ECM stats.
Do I need to have DLC for A&S? What about the DLC nations?
Israel and Yugoslavia are still in the game, with updates. Holland has been converted into India and Finland has been turned into a combine of South American nations (UNASUR)
Can I suggest other units to add to the mod?
Sure, but, space for new units is limited and there are a number of unit suggestions that have already been rejected: